If you are planning to have new floors laid at home, great care needs to be taken when selecting a contractor to carry out the work, as a poor installation will leave even the best materials lacking. There are, of course, many companies in the floor laying business, and in order to ensure you select the best, here are some of the attributes a top notch flooring contractor would have.
- Reliability – The ideal contractor would be well-established in the local community, and would have the necessary resources to ensure the project is completed on time and to budget. If a person is looking for flooring specialists in Bognor Regis, for example, there is a family owned local company that offers a range of flooring materials, all at affordable prices. Obviously, it is wise to use a local company, and an online search will help you to locate a nearby contractor.
- Showroom Facilities – Any company that is established would have at least one location where the customer can experience the full range of flooring options in a real environment. One cannot really experience a floor unless it is walked on, and with several areas with a variety of floors laid, it is possible to really get the feel of the floor.
- Product Warranty – This is essential, and any reputable contractor would offer a comprehensive warranty on both the product and workmanship, which is an indication of their confidence. Qualified tradesmen would ensure that the floor is laid correctly, and if it requires a backing, you would have a choice of materials.
- Affordable Prices – Although price should never be the deciding factor when selecting flooring materials, you don’t want to pay any more than you should, and by asking a few contractors for quotes, you will soon get an idea of prices, and can make an informed decision. Some contractors will openly state that their prices are unbeatable and providing the quality is there, this makes for an attractive proposition.
- No Hidden Extras – When the flooring contractor quotes for a project, that should be the price the customer pays, and it might be an idea to get some clarification on this, before agreeing to anything. Regardless of any extra work, the quoted price should stand, and by establishing this at the outset, you will avoid any nasty surprises.
- Range of Flooring Materials – Whether you prefer the timeless look of real timber, or perhaps a vinyl or laminate floor, the contractor should be well-versed in all types of flooring, and with their expert advice, you can be sure to select the best materials for the job.
If you look for all of the above when you are talking to flooring contractors, it will certainly help you narrow your choices down to one or perhaps two companies, and it is an idea to compile a list of questions, to make sure there are no misunderstandings.